Plans are afoot to commemorate the bravery of members of the military during the Second World War with our largest ever ‘moment for remembrance’ during Revival this year.
The 9th Duke of Richmond, a renowned aviator, gifted Goodwood Aerodrome to the Royal Air Force to aid Britain’s war effort. Renamed RAF Westhampnett, the Aerodrome became a key base for Spitfire and Hurricane fighter planes in 1939 and remained active until the end of the war – even providing the starting point for Sir Douglas Bader’s final sortie.
To mark the occasion, over 600 vehicles and personnel will parade around the circuit on the Sunday afternoon of the Revival meeting.
Twenty-five veterans, all of whom were based locally during the hostilities, will be introduced to Revival visitors by Lord March and honoured for their courage during the war.
Following this the parade will commence with four-wheeled war-time machinery from Bedford, Dodge, Jeep, Humber, Achilles, Ford, GMC, Williys and many more, joined by a Sherman tank or two as well as several half-tracks and mobile guns.
The role that motorcycles played in the war effort will be marked by models from Royal Enfield, a Matchless G3L, folding BSAs and Corgies, plus Nimbus and James. Bicycles from BSA and Hercules, and uniformed soldiers, navy personnel and air crew complete the on-the-ground line-up.
A flypast will accompany the ground-based activities with Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane aircraft adding the unmistakable noise of their Merlin and Griffin engines to the skies above Goodwood.