For some, a racing car has to be a single-seater... and there are plenty of grids at the Goodwood Revival to keep those folks happy. Here are our pick of the single-seaters you won't want to miss...
Originally dubbed the P61, BRM’s answer to the monocoque Lotus 25, it quickly became apparent that Tony Rudd’s design was no match for the green-and-yellow cars from Cheshunt. This required a complete redesign, with the resulting car known as the P261. Featuring a substantially stiffened chassis, the P261 was a full monocoque design (unlike the P61, which featured a stressed skin over steel tubing), with the pontoon sections extending all the way into the engine bay. Although the inlet and exhaust manifolds had been switched – allowing the exhausts to exit above the engine – the V8’s internals were substantially similar to the engine that powered Graham Hill the 1962 World Championship. In the hands of both Hill and Jackie Stewart, the P261 proved a formidable challenger to Lotus, Hill winning twice in both the 1964 and '65 seasons, while Stewart scored a maiden Grand Prix victory in the 1965 Italian GP.
Lorenzo Bandini made the 1512's debut at the 1964 US Grand Prix and, as the name suggests, it was a 12-cylinder version of the Scuderia’s 158 Formula 1 challenger. Amazingly, the 220bhp V12 – designed by Mauro Forghieri – fitted into the 158 chassis with little modification. Thanks to its 180-degree ‘V’ angle, the engine had an exceptionally low centre of gravity compared to the V8, helping to improve the 1512’s handling. Halfway through the 1965 season, the engine was reworked, improving low-end torque and reputedly increasing the power output to around 250bhp. In this form, chassis 0008 was driven by John Surtees in the 1965 German Grand Prix at the Nürburgring Nordschleife. Unfortunately for the reigning world champion, a gear selection issue forced his retirement after four laps.
Alfa Romeo Tipo B
When it was launched in 1932 designer Vittorio Jano’s Alfa Romeo Tipo B broke the mold, and set a new and very high standard. In 1932 and 1933 it was almost unbeatable and versions of the car were driven by the period's greatest drivers: Tazio Nuvolari, Achille Varzi, Guy Moll, Giuseppe Campari, Umberto Borzacchini and Rudolph Caracciola. In 1935, Nuvolari scored an heroic victory against the mighty Silver Arrows in the German Grand Prix at the Nürburgring, securing the Tipo B as one of the all-time greats. This car, chassis number 5006, was run by Scuderia Ferrari in 1932-34 and records suggest that Guy Moll drove this car to victory in the 1934 Monaco Grand Prix. Celebrated for its incredible straight-line speed, in the capable hands of Christian Glaesel this weekend, this car will be one to watch.
Ferguson P99 Climax
The Ferguson P99 was the first four-wheel-drive Formula 1 car. Built for the Rob Walker Racing Team, it used a 1.5-litre Climax engine. It remains the most famous example of its type as a result of its twin claims to fame – not only the first 4WD car, but also one of the last front-engined cars to win a Formula 1 event. The car's last major F1 race was its moment of motor racing glory, as Moss drove the P99 to victory in a damp International Gold Cup at Oulton Park.
The 1961 Grand Prix season was a seminal year in Stirling Moss’ career after wins in the Monaco and German Grands Prix. He only finished third in the Drivers’ Championship, behind Phil Hill and Wolfgang von Trips, but it was the way in which he won at Monaco that has gone down in history as one of the greatest Grand Prix drives of all time. Taking the lead on lap 14, Moss soon had the faster Ferraris of Richie Ginther and Hill in pursuit, but the Englishman posted qualifying-like lap times for the majority of the race and held on for a famous win. The Rob Walker car here is the one that Moss drove to victory in those two Grand Prix and is a regular competitor in historic events today. It’s particularly poignant to have the car at the Revival this year so that it can take part in the Rob Walker Racing demonstrations.