Incredibly, the car continued to race until 1974. By then, it has been developed away from its original specification before being retired. In the 1990s, the car was bought by Ernie Nagamatsu. He knew Balchowsky in period, and restored the car to its 1959 specification. It has since been a familiar sight in historic racing, having made several appearances at the Goodwood Revival as well as this year’s Silverstone Classic.
Just as it was in period, the ‘Junkyard Dog’ as it’s sometimes affectionately called is a real crowd-pleaser, its upright air intake and swept front wings cutting a distinctly different dash to the Lolas, Lotuses and Listers that surrounded it in the Stirling Moss Trophy.
Photography by Tom Shaxson