The 2022 eSports WRC Championship calendar has also been revealed, again featuring 13 rounds before the season-ending final, but with five new events to challenge the participants as Belgium, Croatia, Estonia, Greece, and Spain join the championship.
Open to all players of WRC 10 across any platform – PC, PlayStation 4 & 5, Xbox One and Series X – the esports WRC series gets players to set their fastest times in-game on two or three stages from each of the host rally events, with four days to perfect their efforts. The fastest eight players globally pick up points towards their overall total, with the best 12 scores of the 13 rounds included.
The calendar seeks to stick as close to the real WRC schedule as possible, with each of the events taking place shortly before the corresponding stop in the real-world. That means that it should look pretty familiar to rally fans:
- Round 1 – Monte Carlo -14th-17th January
- Round 2 – Sweden – 18th-21st February
- Round 3 – Spain – 4th-7th March
- Round 4 – Wales – 18th-21st March
- Round 5 – Belgium – 1st-4th April
- Round 6 – Croatia – 15th-18th April
- Round 7 – Japan – 29th April-1st May
- Round 8 – Portugal – 13th-16th May
- Round 9 – Italy – 27th-30th May
- Round 10 – Kenya – 17th-20th June
- Round 11 – Estonia – 8th-11th July
- Round 12 – Finland – 29th July-1st August
- Round 13 – Greece – 12th-15th August
Although the series is officially sponsored by Toyota – and the brand supplied a brand new GR Yaris to the 2020 and 2021 champions – players can use any of the top-tier WRC cars available in the game to set their times.
Among the favourites will be Lebanon’s Sami-Joe Abi Nahkle, who topped the regular season leaderboard for both 2020 and 2021 and claimed the overall title for 2020 in the delayed final last year. However his big rival, Lohan Blanc from France, took back his crown in 2021 to make it three championships in four seasons.
Welcome to FOS Future Lab where we report on the latest visions of future technology. We'll be boldly covering flying cars, hoverboards, jetpacks and spaceships with plenty of down to earth topics in between.