Most expensive British car ever
By now the world knows there is a new British champion of the auction rooms. The ex-Moss/Salvadori/Shelby Aston Martin DBR1 chassis number one has displaced the Jaguar D-type as most expensive Brit car ever sold at auction. RM Sotheby’s had the honour of selling this wonderful machine, and it went for $22,550,000 including the premium. That’s three-quarters of a million ahead of the Jag when it was sold by RM last year.
Most expensive non-Zagato Aston Martin ever
The DBR1 wasn’t the end of the Aston story at RM’s Monterey sale, with the 1959 Aston Martin DB4GT prototype selling for $6,765,000, a record for an Aston without a Zagato body. Another Aston record for the model type was the US$616,000 achieved by a 2006 DBR9.
Other world record highs by model type achieved by RM include:
- 1955 Ferrari 121 LM Spider by Scaglietti. Sold for: $5,720,000.
- 1959 Ferrari 410 Superamerica Series III Coupe by Pinin Farina. Sold for: $5,335,000.
- 1954 Ferrari 500/735 Mondial Spider Pinin Farina. Sold for: $3,850,000.
- 2014 Pagani Huayra Tempesta. Sold for: $2,420,000.
- 2015 Porsche 918 Spyder. Sold for: $1,842,500.
- 1951 Porsche 356 1500 Coupe by Reutter. Sold for: $1,017,500 (world record for a Pre-A).