Solberg’s team-mate Tommi Mäkinen finished third in his swansong event, the Finn one of the first to congratulate the new World Champion. Former World Champion Colin McRae took fourth in his final full-time ride with Citroën, helping the French marque to secure its first Constructors’ crown.
Loeb, who’d fallen short in his quest to win the title by just a single point, would have to wait 12 months to start a period of WRC domination that would last for nine years!
Wales Rally GB, 2003
1. Petter Solberg (N)/Phil Mills (GB) – Subaru Impreza WRC2003, 3h28m58.1s
2. Sébastien Loeb (F)/Daniel Elena (MC) – Citroën Xsara WRC, +43.6s
3. Tommi Mäkinen (FIN)/Kaj Lindstrom (FIN) – Subaru Impreza WRC2003, +2m58.8s
4. Colin McRae (GB)/Derek Ringer (GB) – Citroën Xsara WRC, +5m28.1s
5. François Duval (B)/Stéphane Prevot (B) – Ford Focus RS WRC03, +7m16.1s
6. Freddy Loix (B)/Sven Smeets (B) – Peugeot 206WRC, +8m06.5s
Photography courtesy of LAT Images