A sense of wellbeing and happiness is good for your health, which is why this week our fitness tips look at small but effective steps you can take to feel happier and more fulfilled.
Manage stress levels
Everyone experiences stress at some point, however if it is affecting your life and health, it’s important to tackle it. While stress affects everyone differently, some of the common signs of stress include constant worry or anxiety, changes in your sleeping or eating habits, trouble relaxing or concentrating and even physical muscular pains and headaches.
Ways to combat stress include:
- Learning time-management techniques such as making lists, taking lunch breaks and prioritising
- Make time for yourself and regular exercise. Taking control of your time in this way can be very effective at reducing stress
- Not being hard on yourself. Try to keep things in perspective and don’t pay attention to your inner critic. Bad days happen to everyone so take some time each day to appreciate yourself
Doing things that you enjoy is very beneficial for your emotional wellbeing. Even simple activities like having a relaxing bath, meeting friends for a coffee or watching a film with family can all improve your day. Taking up hobbies that you are good at is a good way to enjoy yourself and gain a sense of achievement.
Everyone experiences spells of low self-esteem and most people are their own worst enemy. By raising your self-esteem you’ll feel more deserving of the good things in life. The best place to start is to be kind to yourself. So the next time that little inner voice tells you something negative, challenge it! Speak to yourself in the same way that you’d speak to your friend – in a positive and honest way.
Have a healthier diet
Many studies have shown that eating well can improve your mood, give you more energy and help you think more clearly. Some of the simple ways to achieve a healthier lifestyle include:
- Limiting your alcohol intake
- Choosing a well-balanced diet, rich in the main food groups. Making healthy choices can help you feel emotionally stronger as you are doing something positive for yourself, which in turn lifts your self-esteem. A good diet also helps your brain and body work efficiently too
- Exercise regularly, even moderate exercise releases chemicals in your brain to lift your mood
- Get enough sleep. 7 - 8 hours is the average amount needed for your body and mind to fully rest
Talk and share
Talking is important, whether it’s with a friend, family member or counsellor. Communication helps you to release tension, strengthen relationships and connect with people which is why lots of people find talking really helpful.
If you’d like to learn more about how to lead a happier lifestyle, we have a brand new course of masterclasses: Master your mind, beginning in September. The series of 60 minute workshops hosted by Kitty Waters, Success and Leadership Coach, are designed to inspire you to take positive steps towards a happier and healthier lifestyle.
Master your mind