The Creation of Hound Lodge
In 1883, the sixth Duke of Richmond re-established the Goodwood Hunt with his son, the Earl of March, as Master. The Kennels were converted into dwellings for the huntsman and whippers-in, and entirely new kennels were built across the road for the hounds: Hound Lodge.
The new Kennels (Hound Lodge) were modelled on Lord Leconfield’s kennels at Petworth, with four draw yards in front. To their right a flinted house was built for the huntsman, with seven individual kennels adjacent for whelping.