500g venison rump
4 pheasant breasts
4 partridge breasts
4 pigeon breasts
250g button mushrooms
250g baby onions
250g precooked chestnuts
4 sprigs of thyme
4 juniper berries (crushed)
5 litres dark game stock
100ml red wine
100ml Madeira wine
2 tbsp red currant jelly
1 tsp sauce thickener
1. Using a sharp knife roughly dice all your game meat into a bowl.
2. Heat a heavy based pan with some olive oil and gently brown off all the diced game meat. Once you achieved a nice brown colouring all over, remove from pan and set aside.
3. Using the same pan add mushrooms, onions and chestnuts and cook until golden in colour.
4. Add the crushed juniper berries and thyme and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes.
5. Add the red wine and Madeira wine and reduce by half. Once reduced add the game stock and continue to reduce by a third.
6. Once the liquor has been reduced turn down to a simmer and add the browned game meat to the pan.
7. Gently simmer for 45 minutes or until the meat is tender.
8. Add the redcurrant jelly & sauce thickener and gently cook for a further 2 minutes.
9. Remove from the heat and season to taste.
225g self raising flour
1 pinch sea salt
160g cold water
1. Using a large bowl crumble the suet, flour, butter & salt together.
2. Add the water & gently bring the mix to a dough. Do not over mix the pastry.
3. Once combined leave to rest in the fridge for 2 hours.
1. Using a suitable pie dish spoon the game mix into the dish.
2. Roll the rested suet pastry out to 1cm thickness and cut the lid slightly larger than your pie dish, just so it overlaps the edge of the dish.
3. Brush the lid with a beaten egg and cover over the pie.
4. Gently press round the edge of the pastry lid to seal around the dish. Glaze the top of the lid with the rest on the beaten egg.
5. Pre heat your oven to 180degree and bake the pie for 20 minutes or until you’ve achieved a golden-brown top.
6. Remove from the oven and serve.
Give Goodwood Home Farm a call to find out what produce we have available on 01243 755153.
Our Farm Shop is open Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm and Saturday 9am to 1pm.
Goodwood Farm Shop | Chichester | West Sussex | PO18 0QF