GRR

Haas F1 retains Hülkenberg and Magnussen for 2024

24th August 2023
Simon Ostler

The Haas F1 team has confirmed it will retain its two drivers for the 2024 Formula 1 season. As the team enters its ninth year in F1, it will do so with the experienced hands of Kevin Magnussen and Nico Hülkenberg at the wheel.

hass-f1-retains-hulkenberg-and-magnussen-1.jpg

After experimenting with youth in 2021, and suffering the team’s worst season, it’s clear that Haas is keen to retain the consistency and reliability of two veteran drivers as it strives to solidify its position in the midfield.

Hülkenberg was brought back to F1 at the beginning of the 2023 season after three years without a full-time drive and has so far impressed with his quick return to form, regularly reaching Q3 and scoring points at his third race back.

Magnussen meanwhile has become a dependable driver for Haas going into what will be his seventh season at the team since he first joined back in 2017. He’s scored on two occasions in 2023 and has so far kept the car out of the wall, something that team owner Gene Haas was keen to stress was the reason behind Mick Schumacher’s departure at the end of 2022.

Image courtesy of Motorsport Images.

Image courtesy of Motorsport Images.

Haas currently sits eighth in the constructors’ standings with a car that appears to struggle with tyre management, meaning regular overperformances in qualifying have rarely yielded points on race day.

Guenther Steiner, Team Principal of Haas said: “I think it’s safe to say that we’ve had an extremely solid driver pairing this season in Formula 1 and ultimately there was no reason to look to change that moving forward.

“Kevin is obviously a very well-known quantity to us, and I’m delighted he’ll return for what will be his seventh season in Haas colours.

hass-f1-retains-hulkenberg-and-magnussen-2.jpg

Magnussen said: “I’m obviously very happy to see my relationship with MoneyGram Haas F1 Team extended once again.

“My return in 2022 had been unexpected but was filled with numerous highlights, and although this season hasn’t gone quite as we’d hoped, we’ve still managed to get into the points and shown potential in the package we have.”

Hülkenberg said: “It’s nice to get things sorted early for next season to just keep the focus on racing and improving performance.

“I enjoy being part of the team and share Gene and Guenther's passion for it. We're competing in a very tight midfield and I’m looking forward to building on what we’ve done together so far and taking that forward into 2024.”

F1 returns for the Dutch Grand Prix this weekend. We've taken a look at how the drivers and teams are shaping up heading into the second half of the season.

Images courtesy of Haas F1 Team.

• F1

• Formula 1

• F1 2024

• Haas

• Nico Hulkenberg

• Kevin Magnussen

• haas-kevin-magnussen-f1-2022-andy-hone-mi-main-09032022.jpg

Formula 1

Kevin Magnussen replaces Mazepin in multi-year F1 switch

• nico-hulkenberg-joins-sauber-2025-main.jpg

Formula 1

Nico Hülkenberg will be Audi’s first F1 driver

• romain-grosjean-kevin-magnussen-leave-haas-f1-2020-2021-australia-andy-hone-mi-main-goodwood-22102020.jpg

Formula 1

Haas F1 drops Grosjean and Magnussen