It was the one we were all waiting for, and after a set of blistering qualifying runs and the prospect of a dry and fair run for all competitors at the Goodwood Festival of Speed presented by Mastercard, the scene was set for the Timed Shootout...
FOS 2021 Timed Shootout results
Sadly, there were a few omissions from the big show, notably six-time Shootout winner Justin Law, after an unfortunate spin at the terrifying and always tricky Flint Wall first thing on Sunday morning. It put an end to his dream of making it seven wins, with his 1993 Bud Light liveried Jaguar XJR-12D suffering unrepairable damage for the afternoon’s action.
There was yet more drama and a lengthy period under red flags after Jack Tetley tickled the outside right wheels of his 2012 specification Chevrolet Camaro NASCAR on the final patch of damp grass before the finish straight at the start of the Shootout proper, sending him spinning dramatically and pin-balling between the tight straw bales, which made light work of the delicate bodywork.
Once things resumed, the real battle would come down to a true ‘Shootout’ between Rob Bell in the insane McLaren 720S GT3X, and man of many talents Travis Pastrana in his modified Subaru WRX STI.
It would be Bell, a McLaren factory driver who would take his opportunity, clocking a 45.01-second run with the McLaren looking absolutely pinned all the way up the Hill. Perhaps at its very limit. Pastrana then would have to make the most of his second place, coming up short just short by 1.19 seconds following a couple of hairy moments.
Rounding out the top three was Jeremy Smith in a 1988 Spice-Cosworth sportscar, a man who was enjoying the hot seat before Bell and Pastrana knocked him down to third.
Worth mentioning within dispatches were impressive whole-hearted runs from Five-time Le Mans 24 Hours winner Emanuele Pirro, who set the first of the fast times with a time of 58.63 seconds in the Ferrari 250 GTO ‘Breadvan’. And Kenny Acheson, flat out all weekend, setting pace with a 52.27 second time that he punched in aboard the gorgeous Group C Sauber Mercedes C9. And Richard Westbrook bringing home the fully electric Mustang Mach-E 1400 as the highest finishing full EV.
It may have reminded us of the all-electric monster that stomped to the win last time out, but all-in-all, the performances from all entrants battling up the Goodwood Hillclimb put on one hell of a show for the throngs of fans lining the entire Hill throughout, despite the lengthy stoppages and constant threat of rain. See the full results below.
Photography by Jordan Butters and James Lynch.
2021 Festival of Speed Timed Shootout results
- Rob Bell - McLaren 720S GT3X - 45.01
- Travis Pastrana - Subaru WRX STI - 46.20
- Jeremy Smith - Spice-Cosworth SE88 - 47.16
- Harry King - Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (992) - 47.65
- Jake Hill - Nissan Skyline GT-R R32 (HKS) - 48.96
- Ales Jirasek - Praga R1 - 51.38
- Anthony Reid - Ford Escort Cosworth - 51.62
- Kenny Acheson - Sauber-Mercedes C9 - 52.27
- Ric Wood - Holden Commodore - 53.13
- Rory Butcher - Toyota Corolla BTCC - 53.89
- Julian Thomas - Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500 - 54.08
- Sam Hancock - BMW M1 Procar - 54.34
- Matthew Wilson - Ford Puma Hybrid Rally 1 - 54.55
- Richard Westbrook - Ford Mustang Mach-E 1400 - 54.85
- Ian Gwynne - Ford Fiesta Pikes Peak - 54.96
- Mark Jones - Renault Laguna - 56.51
- Nick Swift - Mini 1275 GT - 56.62
- Emanuele Pirro - Ferrari 250 GT SWB ‘Breadvan' - 58.63
- Geraint Owen - Kurtis Kraft-Offenhauser - 59.10
- Duncan Pittaway - Cheetah-Chevrolet - 60.08
- Ewen Sergison - Shadow DN1 - 60.93
- Matthew Holme - BMW 320 STW - 61.23
- Ken Clarke - Rover SD1 Vitesse (HEPOLITE) - 61.80
- Paul Swift - Ford Mustang Mach-E GT - 61.91
- Tom Andrew - Alfa Romeo 155 - 62.94
- Ian Simmonds - Tyrrell-Cosworth 012 - 63.20
- James Wood - Alfa Romeo P3 (Tipo B) - 65.27
- Patrick Blakeney-Edwards - Frazer Nash Shelsley Single S - 66.55
- Alexander Boswell - Delage Bequet - 67.91
- Grant Williams - Jaguar Mk2 - 68.43
- Ben Collings - Benz 200HP Blitzen Benz - 69.02
- Sally Mason-Styrron - Ferrari 166 MM Barchetta - 80.95
- Robert Blakemoe - Aston Martin Ulster - 89.87
- George Wingard - Mercedes 60hp - 96.65
- Jack Tetley - Chevrolet Camaro - DNF
Subscribe to Festival of Speed news
Our email newsletter contains all the latest news, stories and event information about the Goodwood Estate