On lap 150 a first-corner crash brought out the caution flags once more. Most of the pack dived for the pits, leaving Franchitti out front, where he stayed until further shunts on the rain-lashed track brought about a lap-166 chequered flag. Right place, right time.
For the seventh time in its long history, the Indy 500 didn’t run the full distance and there to collect one of the biggest prizes in racing – the Borg-Warner Trophy – and drink the winner’s milk was Dario Franchitti.
Indianapolis 500, 2007
1. Dario Franchitti (GB) – Andretti Green Dallara-Honda, 166 laps
2. Scott Dixon (NZ) – Chip Ganassi Racing Dallara-Honda, +0.36s
3. Helio Castroneves (BR) – Penske Dallara-Honda, +1.84s
4. Sam Hornish Jr (USA) – Penske Dallara-Honda, +4.63s
5. Ryan Briscoe (AUS) – Luczo Dragon Racing Dallara-Honda, +5.21s
6. Scott Sharp (USA) – Rahal Letterman Dallara-Honda, +9.34s
Photography courtesy of LAT Images