John Buckingham, aged 35, is the external designer of the BMW Concept 8-Series. Born in Southport, he graduated from Coventry University in 2005 and is based at BMW's California studio. We caught up with him in the StableYard at FOS.
JUN 30th 2017
Five minutes with new 8‑Series designer, John Buckingham
Top 5 things you love about you 8-Series Concept
1) Centre line – that new silhouette.
2) Hip swing – that's the volumes over the rear wheels.
3) Central kidneys
4) Steering wheel – it's so dramatic, deep and sporty. Invites you to grab hold of it.
5) Sound – it's got an M6 engine in it.
Top five BMW Group concepts
1) One-series Tii – it was the first thing I worked on – I did the logo. Back in 2007.
2) EfficientDynamics show car – that's' the one that became the i8. A mind-blowing thing – it inspired everyone in BMW.
3) MINI Rocketman – my personal and professional highlight. A really cool little thing.
4) 100EX Rolls-Royce Concept: the Phantom Coupe concept with the 9.0-litre V16 engine, in 2004. So exciting. The whole thing was a benchmark of quality.
5) 8-Series Concept of course.
Top five cars in your dream design garage?
1) Lamborghini Countach LP5000 S
2) Aston Martin Lagonda (original)
3) Current M3 with Competition Pack
4) Series I Range Rover
5) Lancia Delta Integrale