Goodwood House


Goodwood, one of the finest country houses in England

Goodwood House

Goodwood House has been the home of the Dukes of Richmond & Lennox for over 300 years.  The 1st Duke of Richmond was the natural son of King Charles II and his French mistress, Louise de Keroualle. He originally bought Goodwood as a hunting lodge and subsequent Dukes enlarged the existing Jacobean house to create the magnificent house that we see today, set in mature parkland against the backdrop of the Sussex Downs. 


The House

Architecturally, Goodwood is one of the most unusual of England's great houses. It started as a gentleman's residence, built in the reign of James I. The 1st Duke of Richmond was visiting here as early as 1689, when he was only 17, and used to come regularly for the foxhunting in the nearby village of Charlton. In 1697 he purchased the Jacobean house.
Afternoon Tea at Goodwood House

Afternoon Tea


The Estate

Goodwood is a traditional country estate of 11,000 acres. Its natural beauty, set amongst rolling Downland and legendary hospitality are perfect reasons to visit Chichester.  It has drawn people to it throughout three centuries of ownership by the Dukes of Richmond.  The 1st Duke of Richmond, a natural son of Charles II, first rented and then, in 1697, bought the house and park so that he could hunt in the neighbouring village of Charlton, where one of the earliest and most fashionable hunts in the country was based.


The Family Present to 7th Duke

The Duke of Richmond and Gordon, CBE DL, who was born in 1955, took over the management of the Goodwood Estate Company from his father in 1994. He is the President of the British Automobile Racing Club, Patron of the TT Riders Association, and President of the Motor Racing Cycle Industry Association.


The Family 6th to 1st Duke

The Dukes of Richmond descend from the natural son of Charles II by his mistress, Louise de Keroualle.  This son, Charles Lennox, was made Duke of Richmond & Lennox amongst other titles.

House History

The 'old house', as it is usually called, is now the section at the back. It was developed through the 18th century. Its main hall was classicised in 1730 by the architect Roger Morris, and between 1747 and 1750 a handsome Palladian style south wing was added in Portland stone, probably by Matthew Brettingham. A balancing north wing by James Wyatt was added in 1771, although this was partly taken down in the late 1960s owing to dry rot.
Subscribe and Enjoy

Subscribe to Goodwood Newsletters

By clicking ‘sign up’ you are accepting the terms of Goodwood’s privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.