

Where wondrous innovation and future technology is placed in the palm of your hand.


When the 9th Duke won the Double Twelve at Brooklands in 1931 he never drove without it throughout his successful driving career.


For icons of British saloon car racing, featuring Capris, Camaros, Mustangs and more.


The first ever horsebox was used from Goodwood to Doncaster for the 1836 St. Leger. Elis arrived fresh and easily won his owner a £12k bet.




King Edward VII turned his back on the traditional morning suit and donned a linen suit and Panama hat. Thus the Glorious Goodwood trend was born.




...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?


Flying training began at Goodwood in 1940 when pilots were taught operational flying techniques in Hurricanes and Spitfires.


The iconic spitfire covered almost 43,000 kilometres and visited over 20 countries on its epic journey and currently resides at our Aerodrome.



Testament to the 19th-century fascination with ancient Egypt and decorative opulence. The room is richly detailed with gilded cartouches, sphinxes, birds and crocodiles.









Built in 1787 by celebrated architect James Wyatt to house the third Duke of Richmond’s prized fox hounds, The Kennels was known as one of the most luxurious dog houses in the world!


"En la rose je fleurie" or "Like the rose, I flourish" is part of the Richmond coat of Arms and motto






Every single item from plates to pictures has its own home within the Lodge, with our butler (James) has his own "bible" to reference exactly what is out of place.


Easy boy! The charismatic Farnham Flyer loved to celebrate every win with a pint of beer. His Boxer dog, Grogger, did too and had a tendancy to steal sips straight from the glass.



Where wondrous innovation and future technology is placed in the palm of your hand.


Spectate from the chicane at the Revival to see plenty of classic cars going sideways as they exit this infamous point of our Motor Circuit.




Early Revivals saw the likes of Stirling Moss and Jack Brabham return to competitive racing.


Flying training began at Goodwood in 1940 when pilots were taught operational flying techniques in Hurricanes and Spitfires.


Goodwood Motor Circuit was officially opened in September 1948 when Freddie March, the 9th Duke and renowned amateur racer, tore around the track in a Bristol 400


Spectate from the chicane at the Revival to see plenty of classic cars going sideways as they exit this infamous point of our Motor Circuit.


King Edward VII turned his back on the traditional morning suit and donned a linen suit and Panama hat. Thus the Glorious Goodwood trend was born.


The first ever horsebox was used from Goodwood to Doncaster for the 1836 St. Leger. Elis arrived fresh and easily won his owner a £12k bet.


The first ever horsebox was used from Goodwood to Doncaster for the 1836 St. Leger. Elis arrived fresh and easily won his owner a £12k bet.










After the first public race meeting in 1902, 'Glorious Goodwood' became a highlight of the summer season.



After the first public race meeting in 1902, 'Glorious Goodwood' became a highlight of the summer season.


The first ever horsebox was used from Goodwood to Doncaster for the 1836 St. Leger. Elis arrived fresh and easily won his owner a £12k bet.


King Edward VII (who came almost every year) famously dubbed Glorious Goodwood “a garden party with racing tacked on”.


The most prestigious event in historic motorsport, the race that everyone wants to win.


The Motor Circuit was known as RAF Westhampnett, active from 1940 to 1946 as a Battle of Britain station.


The first ever round of golf played at Goodwood was in 1914 when the 6th Duke of Richmond opened the course on the Downs above Goodwood House.


Whoa Simon! A horse so determined and headstrong, he not only won the 1883 Goodwood Cup by 20 lengths, but couldn't be stopped and carried on running over the top of Trundle hill






Goodwood Motor Circuit was officially opened in September 1948 when Freddie March, the 9th Duke and renowned amateur racer, tore around the track in a Bristol 400


...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?


One of the greatest golfers of all time, James Braid designed Goodwood’s iconic Downland course, opened in 1914.


The first ever round of golf played at Goodwood was in 1914 when the 6th Duke of Richmond opened the course on the Downs above Goodwood House.


One of the greatest golfers of all time, James Braid designed Goodwood’s iconic Downland course, opened in 1914.


The first ever round of golf played at Goodwood was in 1914 when the 6th Duke of Richmond opened the course on the Downs above Goodwood House.









...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?


...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?



...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?



...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?


Just beyond Goodwood House along the Hillclimb, the 2nd Dukes banqueting house was also known as "one of the finest rooms in England" (George Vertue 1747).


Ensure you take a little time out together to pause and take in the celebration of all the hard work you put in.







Leading women of business, sport, fashion and media, take part in one of the most exciting horseracing events in the world.


One of the greatest golfers of all time, James Braid designed Goodwood’s iconic Downland course, opened in 1914.


Flying training began at Goodwood in 1940 when pilots were taught operational flying techniques in Hurricanes and Spitfires.




As the private clubhouse for all of the Estate’s sporting and social members, it offers personal service and a relaxed atmosphere


The famous fighter ace, who flew his last sortie from Goodwood Aerodrome, formerly RAF Westhampnett has a statue in his honor within the airfield.





The first thing ever dropped at Goodwood was a cuddly elephant which landed in 1932 just as the 9th Duke of Richmonds passion for flying was taking off.




The first thing ever dropped at Goodwood was a cuddly elephant which landed in 1932 just as the 9th Duke of Richmonds passion for flying was taking off.




Built in 1787 by celebrated architect James Wyatt to house the third Duke of Richmond’s prized fox hounds, The Kennels was known as one of the most luxurious dog houses in the world!


Inspired by the legendary racer, Masten Gregory, who famously leapt from the cockpit of his car before impact when approaching Woodcote Corner in 1959.


A 20m woodland rue, from Halnaker to Lavant, was planted by our forestry teams & volunteers, featuring native species like oak, beech, & hornbeam
The Collection
Goodwood House

Last year, The Goodwood Collection made one of its most exciting and important acquisitions in decades, an oil sketch by the famous 18th century horse painter, George Stubbs. Acquired by private sale, the artwork complements the existing sporting scenes by Stubbs in the State Apartments of Goodwood House and highlights the significant link between the artist and the 3rd Duke of Richmond.
The study, an oil sketch on three separate sheets of paper stuck together on panel, depicts the 3rd Duke of Richmond’s younger brother, Lord George Lennox mounted on a bay hunter with a hound in the foreground. Lord George has his back to the viewer and wears the blue livery of the Charlton Hunt; his gilded buttons denote full membership. The Charlton Hunt, which took its name from the nearby village of Charlton, was the oldest fox hunt in England and the reason why the 1st Duke of Richmond first came to Goodwood in the 1680s. In the study, both horse and hound are captured mid-movement, the horse in a gentle trot and the hound leaping forward, hot on the tail of a scent. In the background, foliage and trees are hinted at by shadowy forms.
The sketch is a preparatory study for a larger painting the 3rd Duke commissioned from Stubbs in 1759, entitled The Charlton Hunt. This was the first of three sporting scenes Stubbs painted for the Duke whilst staying at Goodwood for a period of nine months in c.1759-60. Together with Racehorses Exercising at Goodwood and Shooting at Goodwood, The Charlton Hunt would go on to launch Stubbs’s career. Like his father the 2nd Duke, who had helped establish Canaletto in England, the 3rd Duke was an important artistic patron. It is easy to see why the 3rd Duke gave the commissions to Stubbs, whose curiosity about the anatomy of horses complemented the Duke’s own interest in science and the natural world. The Duke would later allow Stubbs to paint a portrait of the first male moose to be brought to England, which was kept in the grounds of Goodwood. The Duke would also go on to purchase a painting of a lioness and a lion, an allusion to his father’s menagerie at Goodwood which had housed exotic creatures, including lions. The three large sporting scenes the Duke first acquired hung in the Banqueting Hall of the Jacobean part of Goodwood House, where members of the Charlton Hunt would dine after a day’s hunting.
For The Charlton Hunt, Stubbs was tasked with capturing the hunt in action. The scene depicted the Duke and Lord George on horseback, surrounded by huntsmen and hounds, with a full cry occurring in the background. Its purpose was to celebrate the revival of the Charlton Hunt by the 3rd Duke in 1757. To ensure his composition was a success, Stubbs made several preparatory oil sketches and pencil drawings. The artwork recently acquired is one such sketch. Other studies for the painting exist of individual fox hounds and a grey hunter with a hunt servant adjusting the saddle in other collections. These preparatory sketches reveal much about the method Stubbs employed in his earlier career whilst at Goodwood. They were intended as elements that could be moved around a large canvas to fine-tune his composition.
The preparatory study of Lord George is easily identifiable in the larger scene. Lord George appears virtually unaltered, sitting astride his hunter with his back to the viewer. He is positioned towards the centre, near his brother the 3rd Duke who rides a black hunter and gesticulates to him. The hound in the sketch is also discernible, although in the larger scene it is elongated and positioned near the rear of the horse, rather than in front of it. The individuals, horses and hounds in the scene are all portraits, so it is likely that other studies were created but may not have survived.
The study of Lord George is thought to have been given by Stubbs to the 3rd Duke, who in turn gave it to his brother. It then passed by descent through Lord George’s daughter’s family, the Earls Bathurst until 2014. In 2022, it came home to Goodwood after just over 260 years.
Visit these pieces and other important artworks as part of a Guided Tour and Tea & Tour as part of our Open Days at Goodwood House from March to October.
The Collection
Goodwood House

