The Story of Hound Lodge
A traditional, 10-bedroom country retreat for the 21st century
The creation of Hound Lodge
As the home of the world’s first major foxhunt and also the very reason the first Duke of Richmond bought a house at Goodwood in 1697, The Kennels, and later Hound Lodge, were considered by the aristocracy of the time as ‘the most luxurious dog house in the world’. Indeed the Duke was renowned for spending far more time and money on his hounds and horses than on his friends and guests. So much so that he installed central heating in his kennels a hundred years before it was installed in Goodwood House.
Of hounds and hunting
The Dukes hounds and those that followed were treated like royalty, enjoying spacious living quarters, first at the Kennels and later at Hound Lodge after the former was turned into accommodation. Here it was that the hunt would last for days at a time, with guests and hounds returning to Goodwood House and Hound Lodge in an equal state of excitement.
The glorious hounds
At Hound Lodge the bedrooms are named after ten hounds of the ‘Glorious Twenty-Three’ of 1738. Writing in his journal at the time, the 2nd Duke of Richmond described their 57-mile chase from 7.45am to 5.50pm on Friday, 26 January 1738 as “the greatest chase that ever was.”
Each of the ten bedrooms are individually designed with carefully chosen antiques and paintings to reflect the sporting history of the Estate. The walls of the Boot Room 'loo' are hung with framed handwritten extracts from the hunting journals of the 7th Duke of Richmond, describing some of the most glorious days out riding. In the Dining Room the seemingly endless Georgian table dates from the late eighteenth century and was previously used at Goodwood House for banquets in the Ballroom.