

The Hill Start Line is marked by bricks taken from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.


Spectate from the chicane at the Revival to see plenty of classic cars going sideways as they exit this infamous point of our Motor Circuit.


The early Members' Meetings were held for BARC Members, there were 71 between 1949 and 1966.


King Edward VII turned his back on the traditional morning suit and donned a linen suit and Panama hat. Thus the Glorious Goodwood trend was born.




After the first public race meeting in 1902, 'Glorious Goodwood' became a highlight of the summer season.




...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?


Built in 1787 by celebrated architect James Wyatt to house the third Duke of Richmond’s prized fox hounds, The Kennels was known as one of the most luxurious dog houses in the world!


Whoa Simon! A horse so determined and headstrong, he not only won the 1883 Goodwood Cup by 20 lengths, but couldn't be stopped and carried on running over the top of Trundle hill



A temple-folly guarded by two sphinxes, the beautiful shell house was built in 1748 with collected shells and the floor made from horse teeth.











Our gin uses wild-grown botanicals sourced from the estate, and is distilled with mineral water naturally chalk-filtered through the South Downs.






Dido is traditionally for the host, but every single room is designed with personal touches from Cindy Leveson and the Duke & Duchess of Richmond.


Our gin uses wild-grown botanicals sourced from the estate, and is distilled with mineral water naturally chalk-filtered through the South Downs.



The Fiat S76 or "Beast of Turin" is a Goodwood favourite and can usually be heard before it is seen at #FOS


Sir Stirling Moss was one of the founding patrons of the Festival of Speed, and a regular competitor at the Revival.


The most prestigious event in historic motorsport, the race that everyone wants to win.


The Fiat S76 or "Beast of Turin" is a Goodwood favourite and can usually be heard before it is seen at #FOS




Our replica of the famous motor show showcases the "cars of the future" in true Revival style


"Give me Goodwood on a summers' day and you can forget the rest."


The first ever horsebox was used from Goodwood to Doncaster for the 1836 St. Leger. Elis arrived fresh and easily won his owner a £12k bet.


The first ever horsebox was used from Goodwood to Doncaster for the 1836 St. Leger. Elis arrived fresh and easily won his owner a £12k bet.


The first ever horsebox was used from Goodwood to Doncaster for the 1836 St. Leger. Elis arrived fresh and easily won his owner a £12k bet.










Whoa Simon! A horse so determined and headstrong, he not only won the 1883 Goodwood Cup by 20 lengths, but couldn't be stopped and carried on running over the top of Trundle hill



Leading women of business, sport, fashion and media, take part in one of the most exciting horseracing events in the world.


Whoa Simon! A horse so determined and headstrong, he not only won the 1883 Goodwood Cup by 20 lengths, but couldn't be stopped and carried on running over the top of Trundle hill


King Edward VII (who came almost every year) famously dubbed Glorious Goodwood “a garden party with racing tacked on”.


Early Revivals saw the likes of Stirling Moss and Jack Brabham return to competitive racing.


The famous fighter ace, who flew his last sortie from Goodwood Aerodrome, formerly RAF Westhampnett has a statue in his honor within the airfield.




Flying training began at Goodwood in 1940 when pilots were taught operational flying techniques in Hurricanes and Spitfires.


The first thing ever dropped at Goodwood was a cuddly elephant which landed in 1932 just as the 9th Duke of Richmonds passion for flying was taking off.






...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?


The first ever round of golf played at Goodwood was in 1914 when the 6th Duke of Richmond opened the course on the Downs above Goodwood House.


The first ever round of golf played at Goodwood was in 1914 when the 6th Duke of Richmond opened the course on the Downs above Goodwood House.


The first ever round of golf played at Goodwood was in 1914 when the 6th Duke of Richmond opened the course on the Downs above Goodwood House.






The Motor Circuit was known as RAF Westhampnett, active from 1940 to 1946 as a Battle of Britain station.





...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?


...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?



...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?



...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?


The Duke of Richmond holds the title of Duke of Richmond and Gordon. This title reflects the historical association with both the Richmond and Gordon families.


As the private clubhouse for all of the Estate’s sporting and social members, it offers personal service and a relaxed atmosphere







Whoa Simon! A horse so determined and headstrong, he not only won the 1883 Goodwood Cup by 20 lengths, but couldn't be stopped and carried on running over the top of Trundle hill




The first thing ever dropped at Goodwood was a cuddly elephant which landed in 1932 just as the 9th Duke of Richmonds passion for flying was taking off.






The famous fighter ace, who flew his last sortie from Goodwood Aerodrome, formerly RAF Westhampnett has a statue in his honor within the airfield.



A 20m woodland rue, from Halnaker to Lavant, was planted by our forestry teams & volunteers, featuring native species like oak, beech, & hornbeam


The oldest existing rules for the game were drawn up for a match between the 2nd Duke and a neighbour


The Motor Circuit was known as RAF Westhampnett, active from 1940 to 1946 as a Battle of Britain station.


Our gin uses wild-grown botanicals sourced from the estate, and is distilled with mineral water naturally chalk-filtered through the South Downs.




Testament to the 19th-century fascination with ancient Egypt and decorative opulence. The room is richly detailed with gilded cartouches, sphinxes, birds and crocodiles.


Flying training began at Goodwood in 1940 when pilots were taught operational flying techniques in Hurricanes and Spitfires.


Goodwood news
goodwood newsletter
Goodwood Estate
sustainability

These extracts from the herbarium in Goodwood’s Library forms one of several volumes of pressed flowers and plants, probably created for the 2nd Duke of Richmond. The 18th century was a time of growing interest in natural history. Plant-hunters travelled the globe bringing back exotic specimens for the great estates of England, like the magnificent Cedars of Lebanon at Goodwood, planted in 1761. Meanwhile, closer to home, the first naturalists were starting to compile meticulous guides to the flora and fauna of their surroundings. Gilbert White’s seminal.
The Natural History of Selborne, which focused on the village where he lived, just 20 miles from Goodwood, was published in 1789. The 2nd Duke of Richmond was similarly fascinated by science and a great patron of early natural-history publications. Many of these beautiful illustrated books are in the Goodwood Library, alongside the herbarium of Specimens of English Plants, carefully annotated with horticultural details. The herbarium featured contains 48 pages of pressed flowers, now faded and fragile but remarkably intact. It is charming not just for its frail beauty, but also for its lovely handwritten inscriptions.
This pressing is a Small Mountain Sengreen with jagged leaves (a type of Saxifraga), “found on Snowdon and other high mountains in Wales”. The creator is unknown, though the 2nd Duke was related by marriage to Sir Hans Sloane, who was a huge fan of herboria, and could have helped the Duke source his own. It is left to our imaginations to picture this Georgian lady or gentleman, combing the hedgerows, mountains and riverbanks of Britain, the David Attenborough of their day.
This article was taken from the Winter 2019/2020 edition of the Goodwood Magazine.
Related Reading
Goodwood news
goodwood newsletter
Goodwood Estate
sustainability