

The Hill Start Line is marked by bricks taken from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.


Spectate from the chicane at the Revival to see plenty of classic cars going sideways as they exit this infamous point of our Motor Circuit.


The early Members' Meetings were held for BARC Members, there were 71 between 1949 and 1966.


King Edward VII turned his back on the traditional morning suit and donned a linen suit and Panama hat. Thus the Glorious Goodwood trend was born.




After the first public race meeting in 1902, 'Glorious Goodwood' became a highlight of the summer season.




...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?


Built in 1787 by celebrated architect James Wyatt to house the third Duke of Richmond’s prized fox hounds, The Kennels was known as one of the most luxurious dog houses in the world!


Whoa Simon! A horse so determined and headstrong, he not only won the 1883 Goodwood Cup by 20 lengths, but couldn't be stopped and carried on running over the top of Trundle hill



A temple-folly guarded by two sphinxes, the beautiful shell house was built in 1748 with collected shells and the floor made from horse teeth.











Our gin uses wild-grown botanicals sourced from the estate, and is distilled with mineral water naturally chalk-filtered through the South Downs.






Dido is traditionally for the host, but every single room is designed with personal touches from Cindy Leveson and the Duke & Duchess of Richmond.


Our gin uses wild-grown botanicals sourced from the estate, and is distilled with mineral water naturally chalk-filtered through the South Downs.



The Fiat S76 or "Beast of Turin" is a Goodwood favourite and can usually be heard before it is seen at #FOS


Sir Stirling Moss was one of the founding patrons of the Festival of Speed, and a regular competitor at the Revival.


The most prestigious event in historic motorsport, the race that everyone wants to win.


The Fiat S76 or "Beast of Turin" is a Goodwood favourite and can usually be heard before it is seen at #FOS




Our replica of the famous motor show showcases the "cars of the future" in true Revival style


"Give me Goodwood on a summers' day and you can forget the rest."


The first ever horsebox was used from Goodwood to Doncaster for the 1836 St. Leger. Elis arrived fresh and easily won his owner a £12k bet.


The first ever horsebox was used from Goodwood to Doncaster for the 1836 St. Leger. Elis arrived fresh and easily won his owner a £12k bet.


The first ever horsebox was used from Goodwood to Doncaster for the 1836 St. Leger. Elis arrived fresh and easily won his owner a £12k bet.










Whoa Simon! A horse so determined and headstrong, he not only won the 1883 Goodwood Cup by 20 lengths, but couldn't be stopped and carried on running over the top of Trundle hill



Leading women of business, sport, fashion and media, take part in one of the most exciting horseracing events in the world.


Whoa Simon! A horse so determined and headstrong, he not only won the 1883 Goodwood Cup by 20 lengths, but couldn't be stopped and carried on running over the top of Trundle hill


King Edward VII (who came almost every year) famously dubbed Glorious Goodwood “a garden party with racing tacked on”.


Early Revivals saw the likes of Stirling Moss and Jack Brabham return to competitive racing.


The famous fighter ace, who flew his last sortie from Goodwood Aerodrome, formerly RAF Westhampnett has a statue in his honor within the airfield.




Flying training began at Goodwood in 1940 when pilots were taught operational flying techniques in Hurricanes and Spitfires.


The first thing ever dropped at Goodwood was a cuddly elephant which landed in 1932 just as the 9th Duke of Richmonds passion for flying was taking off.






...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?


The first ever round of golf played at Goodwood was in 1914 when the 6th Duke of Richmond opened the course on the Downs above Goodwood House.


The first ever round of golf played at Goodwood was in 1914 when the 6th Duke of Richmond opened the course on the Downs above Goodwood House.


The first ever round of golf played at Goodwood was in 1914 when the 6th Duke of Richmond opened the course on the Downs above Goodwood House.






The Motor Circuit was known as RAF Westhampnett, active from 1940 to 1946 as a Battle of Britain station.





...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?


...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?



...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?



...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?


The Duke of Richmond holds the title of Duke of Richmond and Gordon. This title reflects the historical association with both the Richmond and Gordon families.


As the private clubhouse for all of the Estate’s sporting and social members, it offers personal service and a relaxed atmosphere







Whoa Simon! A horse so determined and headstrong, he not only won the 1883 Goodwood Cup by 20 lengths, but couldn't be stopped and carried on running over the top of Trundle hill




The first thing ever dropped at Goodwood was a cuddly elephant which landed in 1932 just as the 9th Duke of Richmonds passion for flying was taking off.






The famous fighter ace, who flew his last sortie from Goodwood Aerodrome, formerly RAF Westhampnett has a statue in his honor within the airfield.



A 20m woodland rue, from Halnaker to Lavant, was planted by our forestry teams & volunteers, featuring native species like oak, beech, & hornbeam


The oldest existing rules for the game were drawn up for a match between the 2nd Duke and a neighbour


The Motor Circuit was known as RAF Westhampnett, active from 1940 to 1946 as a Battle of Britain station.


Our gin uses wild-grown botanicals sourced from the estate, and is distilled with mineral water naturally chalk-filtered through the South Downs.




Testament to the 19th-century fascination with ancient Egypt and decorative opulence. The room is richly detailed with gilded cartouches, sphinxes, birds and crocodiles.


Flying training began at Goodwood in 1940 when pilots were taught operational flying techniques in Hurricanes and Spitfires.


In advance of Harry Sherrard's talk at the end of the month, read more about the German's plan to invade Britain in the summer of 1940.

In the interwar years Germany had been surreptitiously developing an air force, and an aircraft industry, under the guise of civil aviation. In March 1935, Hitler and his henchman, Hermann Göring, were sufficiently confident of Germany's emerging status to announce the formation of the Luftwaffe. Civil aviators switched to the military, and by the end of its first year the Luftwaffe had about 20,000 men and 2,000 aircraft.
The formation of this new force alarmed the British government and the Prime Minister, Stanley Baldwin, announced an expansion of the RAF from 52 to 75 UK-based squadrons within five years. This expansion, though vital in the war to come, lagged far behind the development of the Luftwaffe.
To accommodate the expanding RAF, more airfield capacity was required, particularly in the south east of England, which was likely to feel the brunt of any Luftwaffe attack. Existing fighter bases were expanded and, to avoid large concentrations of fighters on the ground at permanent bases, satellite aerodromes were established short distances from the permanent bases to disperse the aircraft. These satellites also served as emergency landing grounds for aircraft unable to land at their home base.
An example was Tangmere. This fighter base was established in in 1917 for use by the Royal Flying Corps as a training base and its permanent brick buildings were familiar to the Luftwaffe from aerial reconnaissance. Recognising this, in 1938, the Air Ministry approached local landowner, the Duke of Richmond, the grandfather of the present Duke. He acceded to a request that an emergency landing ground and dispersal aerodrome be established on what was then Westhampnett Farm, a reasonably flat area within the Goodwood estate. Hedges were removed, grass runways were laid out and RAF Westhampnett thus came into being, located about five miles from the mother station.
Many of the new aerodromes, including RAF Westhampnett, were extremely basic in their early years, consisting of nothing more than grass strips and tented accommodation. Aircraft often had to be maintained in the open. But the policy of dispersing fighter aircraft was effective and, while Tangmere was bombed and badly damaged by the Luftwaffe several times, Westhampnett was never attacked.
The Hurricanes and Spitfires based at Tangmere and Westhampnett played a vital role in the Battle of Britain in the summer of 1940, defending an area from Brighton to west of the Isle of Wight and destroying numerous hostile aircraft in the process.
After the war, the perimeter road around RAF Westhampnett became the Goodwood Motor Circuit.
