

For the last two years, 5,800 bales have been recylced into the biomass energy centre to be used for energy generation


Legend of Goodwood's golden racing era and Le Mans winner Roy Salvadori once famously said "give me Goodwood on a summer's day and you can forget the rest".




The first public race meeting took place in 1802 and, through the nineteenth century, ‘Glorious Goodwood,’ as the press named it, became a highlight of the summer season




One Summer, King Edward VII turned his back on the traditional morning suit, and donned a linen suit and Panama hat. Thus the Glorious Goodwood trend was born.




...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?


The oldest existing rules for the game were drawn up for a match between the 2nd Duke and a neighbour





The Gordon Tartan has been worn by the Dukes and Duchesses over the last 300 years.











Our gin uses wild-grown botanicals sourced from the estate, and is distilled with mineral water naturally chalk-filtered through the South Downs.








Inspired by the legendary racer, Masten Gregory, who famously leapt from the cockpit of his car before impact when approaching Woodcote Corner in 1959.


FOS Favourite Mad Mike Whiddett can be caught melting tyres in his incredible collection of cars (and trucks) up the hillclimb


Spectate from the chicane at the Revival to see plenty of classic cars going sideways as they exit this infamous point of our Motor Circuit.


From 2005 to present there has been a demonstration area for the rally cars at the top of the hill


Festival of Speed is our longest-standing Motorsport event, starting in 1993 when it opened to 25,00 people. We were expecting 2000!


Testament to the 19th-century fascination with ancient Egypt and decorative opulence. The room is richly detailed with gilded cartouches, sphinxes, birds and crocodiles.


The Fiat S76 or "Beast of Turin" is a Goodwood favourite and can usually be heard before it is seen at #FOS


Spectate from the chicane at the Revival to see plenty of classic cars going sideways as they exit this infamous point of our Motor Circuit.


Leading women of business, sport, fashion and media, take part in one of the most exciting horseracing events in the world.


One Summer, King Edward VII turned his back on the traditional morning suit, and donned a linen suit and Panama hat. Thus the Glorious Goodwood trend was born.


The first public race meeting took place in 1802 and, through the nineteenth century, ‘Glorious Goodwood,’ as the press named it, became a highlight of the summer season










Leading women of business, sport, fashion and media, take part in one of the most exciting horseracing events in the world.


Leading women of business, sport, fashion and media, take part in one of the most exciting horseracing events in the world.


Leading women of business, sport, fashion and media, take part in one of the most exciting horseracing events in the world.


The first ever horsebox was used from Goodwood to Doncaster for the 1836 St. Leger. Elis arrived fresh and easily won his owner a £12k bet.




The iconic spitfire covered almost 43,000 kilometres and visited over 20 countries on its epic journey and currently resides at our Aerodrome.




The Motor Circuit was known as RAF Westhampnett, active from 1940 to 1946 as a Battle of Britain station.


Estate milk was once transformed into ice-creams, bombes, and syllabubs, and the Georgian ice house still stands in the grounds in front of Goodwood House.




Goodwood Motor Circuit was officially opened in September 1948 when Freddie March, the 9th Duke and renowned amateur racer, tore around the track in a Bristol 400


...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?


The first ever round of golf played at Goodwood was in 1914 when the 6th Duke of Richmond opened the course on the Downs above Goodwood House.






The first ever round of golf played at Goodwood was in 1914 when the 6th Duke of Richmond opened the course on the Downs above Goodwood House.







The iconic spitfire covered almost 43,000 kilometres and visited over 20 countries on its epic journey and currently resides at our Aerodrome.


...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?


...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?



...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?



We have been host to many incredible film crews using Goodwood as a backdrop for shows like Downton Abbey, Hollywood Blockbusters like Venom: let there be Carnage and the Man from U.N.C.L.E.


David Edney, head Butler dons a morning suit "and a smile" every day and has been woking at Goodwood for over 25 years!




...plan strategy in an ancient woodland, enjoy award-winning dining then drive around a racetrack?




Leading women of business, sport, fashion and media, take part in one of the most exciting horseracing events in the world.




The famous fighter ace, who flew his last sortie from Goodwood Aerodrome, formerly RAF Westhampnett has a statue in his honor within the airfield.






"En la rose je fleurie" or "Like the rose, I flourish" is part of the Richmond coat of Arms and motto



We have been host to many incredible film crews using Goodwood as a backdrop for shows like Downton Abbey, Hollywood Blockbusters like Venom: let there be Carnage and the Man from U.N.C.L.E.


Goodwood’s pigs are a mix of two rare breeds (Gloucester Old Spots and Saddlebacks) plus the Large White Boar.




The famous fighter ace, who flew his last sortie from Goodwood Aerodrome, formerly RAF Westhampnett has a statue in his honor within the airfield.


"En la rose je fleurie" or "Like the rose, I flourish" is part of the Richmond coat of Arms and motto


"En la rose je fleurie" or "Like the rose, I flourish" is part of the Richmond coat of Arms and motto


Built in 1787 by celebrated architect James Wyatt to house the third Duke of Richmond’s prized fox hounds, The Kennels was known as one of the most luxurious dog houses in the world!


Flying training began at Goodwood in 1940 when pilots were taught operational flying techniques in Hurricanes and Spitfires.
Discover Canaletto's paintings at Goodwood, by Elen Walker
Goodwood House
Goodwood House Tea and Tour
Stories from the Collection

The Goodwood Collection houses a number of oil paintings by the Venetian artist, Giovanni Antonio Canal, known as Canaletto.
Whilst several depict scenes of Venice typically associated with the artist, more unusually two of the works portray different views of London from the first floor of Richmond House, the north facing London residence of the Dukes of Richmond in the 18th century. The house had been built by the 2nd Duke of Richmond in the 1730s to designs by Lord Burlington, with interiors done by William Kent. It boasted the Richmond House theatre, and in the later 18th century, a sculpture gallery for budding artists.
Relatively little is known about what the interiors of Richmond House looked like, but Canaletto allows us a glimpse of what the family looked out onto in 1747 when they gazed through the first-floor windows. To one side was Whitehall and the Privy Gardens, and in his picture, Whitehall and the Privy Garden from Richmond House, Canaletto captures in minute detail the buildings that survived the terrible fire of Whitehall Palace of 1698. The end of Inigo Jones’s Banqueting House can be seen, with its classical façade just discernible through the inclusion of the columns. This was where the 2nd Duke of Richmond’s great-grandfather, Charles I had been executed in 1649. Also peeking out in this painting is the Holbein Gate, which was built by King Henry VIII, and was the site of his secret marriage to Anne Boleyn in 1533. Whilst the Banqueting House can still be visited, the Holbein Gate was demolished just over ten years after this was painted. The picture also captures the Privy Gardens, and in doing so excellently demonstrates the culture of the eighteenth-century English elite. Expensive to enter, the garden was used as a way to be seen in society, parade in front of suitors and was a hive of gossip. The delicate figures with their exuberant clothing highlights not only the style of Canaletto’s works but also contemporary views of fashion.
The second view Canaletto presents the viewer with is one of the Thames. The Thames and the City of London from Richmond House artfully depicts the buzzing atmosphere of the river from the window bay of the first-floor dining room, as well as the waterfront terrace of Richmond House and the sweeping London cityscape of the eighteenth century. Dominating the skyline is St Paul’s Cathedral, as well as all of Sir Christopher Wren’s 51 church spires. The inclusion of all of these reveal that Canaletto was not necessarily painting exactly what he saw, but rather an idealised view. Canaletto famously sketched from different perspectives and angles, and made up his composition by putting these sketches together to achieve the best possible picture. Also discernible is Old Somerset House, before it was altered by Sir William Chambers, with its trees running down to the river, as well as Montagu House next to the Richmond House terrace. The corner of the green Chinese pavilion that can be spotted next to the house can be still seen at Boughton House today. The manipulation of light to create a northern glimmer in the sky displays the impressive contemporary skills of Canaletto. Canaletto’s focus on the Thames and the barges of the livery companies excellently demonstrates the importance of the river to 18th century life; the river was the main form of transport, and was important for business and commerce.
The two works were commissioned by the 2nd Duke of Richmond in 1747, and the commissions launched Canaletto’s career in England. Up until this point Canaletto had been working in Venice, selling Venetian scenes to English aristocratic young gentlemen who visited Venice as part of the Grand Tour. The 2nd Duke acquired four Venetian scenes on copper from Canaletto when the artist was still in Venice through his contact Owen McSwiny. However, in the 1740s Canaletto’s work in Venice began to dry up due to the Wars of the Austrian Succession Crisis. Canaletto made the move to England in order to further his career prospects, and in 1746 he arrived with a letter of introduction from Joseph Smith, a self-created art dealer, to McSwiny, his ultimate target being the patronage of The Duke of Richmond. Despite being drunk at a dinner hosted by the 2nd Duke of Montagu, McSwiny gave Canaletto’s recommendation to another guest, Tom Hill, a friend, and former tutor of the 2nd Duke, who thought it best that Canaletto be commissioned to paint a river scene from Richmond House which was accepted by The Duke. It may be that initially one larger scene that took in both the Privy Gardens and the Thames was planned, as this exists in sketch from by Canaletto in the Goodwood Collection.
The paintings today hang at Goodwood House above the fireplaces in the Long Hall, the oldest part of the house. It is thought they were painted specifically for these spots, as the canvases are unusually square for Canaletto and fit perfectly the square spaces above the classical chimneypieces. Sitting beside the fireplaces, the 2nd Duke could look out through the windows opposite and see the rolling Sussex landscape, and if he missed the activity and excitement of the capital, he could cast his eye up to the Canalettos and be absorbed in the commercial and social buzz of city life.
____
The two paintings can be viewe as part of a Guided Tour and Tea & Tour as part of our Open Days at Goodwood House from March to October.
Article by Elen Walker
Goodwood House
Goodwood House Tea and Tour
Stories from the Collection

